Ready, Set, Action! Video Production in a Problem-Based Learning Environment

Posted by Becky Alexander on March 1 2012 at 7:46 p.m.

• I will be glad to discuss any of the ideas I have used in my class. The paper links you to my website with teacher candidate examples of the videos produced during a problem-based environment. http://ralexand.com (Dr. A's Youtube Channel)

The teacher candidates struggled at first, but began to take ownership of the process and were proud of their accomplishments. They continued to share how they learned a great deal about themselves and others during the problem-based experience.

Posted

• I really enjoyed your website! I'm a graduate student in the Educational Technology program at Oklahoma State and will be visiting your website frequently to use your resources with my undergrad Ed Tech learners. I love the stuff you have regarding 21st century teachers!

Posted

• I too appreciate your resource assembly and collection - I hope you don't mind me sharing the link with my students. Since I teach online, we integrate in many tech resources (they send me YouTubes of their teaching snippets) and they will be delighted to learn more. We even meet virtually ( a private island in Second LIfe). They have set up their own science field trips (problem-solving-based) so this will really help. thanks.

Posted

• Becky, I have a paper on this here w/ more details, but here is the slide presentation - you can see some picture of their virtual work http://www.slideshare.net/eoconnor/complex-collaborations-online-virtual (it wasn't opening at my virtual presentation). If you are interested, I can find their web links - the wikis are actually in the virtual world, so I have to go back in there to find it. Their task was to create a student-engaging, project-like task with an associated website/wiki. Some studied the Bronx River in NY through www.globe.gov ; others did "backyard biodiversity" where students would journal about a local part; another studied solar cars (physics teachers); another studied rain-water recycling in Syracuse, NY; another studied ocean acidification; and so on. Interesting, since I continue to use the virtual spaces with my other classes, they are learning about these past projects too.

Posted

• Wow, thanks so much for sharing. At MTSU we have Second LIfe, but I have not used it extensively with my students. It looks like you are having great success.

Yes, I would like to learn more about strategies you have used in your course. (wikis)

Thanks

Posted in reply to Eileen O'Connor