Construct Online: Using Video and Screencasting to Bring the Construction Site Into the Classroom

Posted by David Comiskey on June 23 2011 at 4:38 a.m.

Learning on construction sites is an integral part of an Architectural Technologists education and an essential part of the learning process. Due to larger class sizes, accessibility, cost and health and safety issues it is becoming increasingly difficult to implement as many site visits as would be liked. This paper looks at a project funded by the Centre for Higher Education Practice at the University of Ulster, which details the creation of Construct Online, a learning resource offering a series of videos following the construction of a building. The project utilises screencasting software to enable the users to view footage of the construction process along with detailed architectural drawings showing how the design information is transformed into a completed building.

• This research idea seems very good and interesting to me. It is good for especially countries that have some eceonomic challenges to do otherwise. I am in the Mechanical Technology Field which have some things in common with construction. I would like to know more about the software used in this study and the approaches

Posted

• Thanks for the comment Simon and I hope you enjoyed my presentation. The feedback from this research has been very positive to date. I look forward to your presentation tomorrow.

Posted in reply to Simon M. Yalams