Abstract: This hands-on workshop is designed to give teachers an educational design framework to develop, establish and sustain an online presence in their courses. Participants will have the opportunity to develop objects that they will be able to use after the session. The session will include a demonstration of courses are currently being taught either fully online courses or in a blended delivery mode.
• Highlight the importance of teacher presence online
• Develop digital literal skills in online course management systems
• Introduce open source software and web services that will help teachers to establish an online presence
• Look at course sustainability (amount of hours needed to develop and teach the course)
• Teacher time tips using Moodle course management system tools
• Create enthusiasm for online presence by showing examples
• What is teacher presence in online courses?
o A brief discussion about the importance of teacher presence online and current practices as described by the participants
• Tools currently available to help develop an online presence
o An opportunity to play with features in Moodle and some open source software to develop objects
o How many hours do you spend facilitating online currently? Tips and tricks to help make this more manageable
• Educational Design
o Tips on how to design your courses to get the most from your students while conserving your time and energy
Any teacher who is required to develop and deliver online training
Please bring a photo of yourself and a USB to store your objects/resourcess on
Penny Neuendorf is an Educational Designer and the Educational Project Coordinator of virtual worlds for the health education project, which is funded by the Targeted Skills Needs in Regions scheme, a COAG Initiative. Penny's role in the project is to ensure the educational and curriculum needs are met, this involves working with teachers and industry experts to ensure the quality and validity of the finished product.
Penny has been working in the Health Industry for 18 years and teaching in Health Sciences for 10 years at the Canberra Institute of Technology. Penny's qualifications include a Bachelor of Health Science, Graduate Diploma of Tertiary Teaching and Learning and she is currently undertaking a Masters of Online Education.
No presider for this session.
Conference attendees are able to comment on papers, view the full text and slides, and attend live presentations.
If you are an attendee, please login
to get full access.