TWIT 1000: Tweeting in Teacher Education

Posted by Joanna Zimmerle on December 18 2017 at 9:30 p.m.

• If you teach at the college level, how is your faculty handling the inclusion of social media such as Twitter into teaching and learning?

If you teach at the K-12 level, how is your district handling the inclusion of social media such as Twitter into teaching and learning?

Posted

• Twitter is the best professional development for free. It takes minutes to scroll through and find value in what others are sharing. As a current doctoral candidate I have mined Twitter for research and ways to infuse creativity and technology into my coursework. As a K-12 consultant, I celebrate the accomplishments of the teachers I work with, share the insight of the learning opportunities I get with folks who are unable to attend them (so, yes, will be tweeting often during this conference), and participate in Twitter chats when I can to move conversations forward. I use it to combat the negative and find the good in education. Follow or tweet me. @TanyaMorret

Posted

• I described my use of Twitter a couple of years ago in a paper titled Critical Thinking and Reflective Practice: Using Twitter to Heighten Student Engagement Within and Beyond the Classroom. It was published in 2115 in Action in Teacher Education, I use it to engage doctoral students in peer critique of dissertations. My pre-service teachers have used it to provide peer feedback following micro lessons. I have also used it in the field to enhance the quality of communication between supervisory visits. Some of my colleagues have begun to use Twitter because they have been requiring to do so by their publishers. I have enjoyed all the Twitter sessions that were offered at SITE and plan on experimenting with it further.

Posted