What Does 25 Years of WebQuest Research Tell Us?

Posted by AACE Conferences on March 15 2022 at 7:44 p.m.

• As the paper points out, the number of data-based studies about the impact of WebQuests on learning (not liking) is surprisingly small. I'd love to chat with anyone at the conference who is interested in doing research in this area.

Posted

• HyperDocs (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Kqz85nqZLUfAVTsNB0qa9_KTel7PSACDEgdEuWN9ozo/edit) seem to be a modern-day version of WebQuests, have you heard about and/or researched how the concept of WebQuests has evolved with new digital tools/apps (like with HyperDocs)?

Posted in reply to Bernie Dodge

• Hi Torrey. I haven't investigated HyperDocs that deeply. I like the interactivity that it affords which was not available in the early days when WebQuests were conceived. I don't see much actual pedagogy attached to the HyperDocs idea though. Is there a philosophy of how to teach embedded in it? Could you look at a HyperDoc and extract the guiding principles at work? Or is it just a technical tool? (I don't know the answers to those questions but you can tell what my hunches are.)

Posted in reply to Torrey Trust

• WebQuest is one of the important innovations in early educational technology, and very worthy of further research. Thank you for presenting this!

Posted

• One of the hallmarks of Webquest is the application of learning technologies to create rich and productive learning environments. Unlike the 'ditto sheet on the screen' approach that has unfortunately corrupted much of the work in this field. Thanks, Bernie!

Posted

• Thanks for those who attended this morning. If you were there in the room, you know that I passed out copies of the lit review in the form of actual molecules of paper. That's because the digital file currently linked to the session is the original version that I submitted last November. In response to suggestions from the reviewers, I made it three pages longer and resubmitted. I'm trying to reach someone at AcademicExperts to fix the link to point to the new version. Meanwhile, anyone who wants the full 8-page version can get one by writing to me at bdodge@sdsu.edu.

UPDATE: The link here has been corrected and goes to the final version of the paper. Thanks Sarah!

Posted

• I just taught WebQuest as a curriculum development project to a class of educators in Uzbekistan. I was happy to find this presentation. Would love to see the recording if there is one.

Posted in reply to Bernie Dodge

• Has it really been 25 years? Our EdTech graduates and pre service educators worldwide have benefited from the Webquest Model and from Questgarden. I created my first Webquest at the Teach the Teachers retreat 23 years ago! Thank you Bernie, June and the Webquest community for setting the course with purposeful web construction.

Posted

• WebQuests are an excellent method to engage students in learning by guiding them through an inquiry-based approach to education using technology factory balls. They are applicable to a variety of subjects and grade levels, and they encourage critical thinking, collaboration, and creativity.

Posted