Mount Saint Mary College
United States of America - Newburgh
I am a Professor of Education at Mount Saint Mary College, Newburgh, NY. My passion is teaching with technology and I share it with my students. I have brought a couple of my research students to EdMedia!
- There is More to Digital Learning than Counting on Your Fingers: Transforming Learning and Teaching with Digital Pedagogy.
- Creating Authentic Learning with Moodle
- Partnering for Learning: Boost Student Engagement with Moodle 2.8 (Bring Your Own Laptop)
- Engaging College Students in Global Interaction via Digital Media: Setting the Stage for the International Writing Exchange (IWE) Project
- Exploring the Use of iPads for Engaged Learning in the Elementary Classroom: A Survey of Teachers
- Addressing Contextual Adaptation in the Dissemination of Online Technologies: Using Moodle and WizIQ for Professional Development Training
- Let’s Moodle! Getting Up and Running with Moodle 2.6
- Warming Global Relationships by Connecting International Classrooms
- W4: Facilitating the Pedagogy of Engagement: Designing an Effective Course with Web 2.0 Technologies
- Teaching & Learning in a Live Virtual Classroom
Professor Ludmila Smirnova has been at Mount Saint Mary College since 2001. She has taught courses in Curricular Planning, Methods of Teaching, Nature of schools and Society, Literacy and Technology, Psychology of Learning, and Teaching with Technology. She has become increasingly recognized for her leadership in the application of emerging Internet technologies to instruction.
Professor Smirnova leads numerous workshops on the application of Smart Technologies and Web 2.0 tools in college and primary/secondary classrooms nationally and abroad. Prior to this, she was professor of education at Volgograd State Pedagogical University (Russia), where she also served as Dean of the School of Foreign Languages.
During her 25-year career in Russia, Professor Smirnova was known for her reintroduction of Montessori education in southern Russia and the design of innovative themed “charter” schools. Her prolific publications include books, chapters, papers and conference presentations world-wide on the issues of innovative pedagogy and teaching with technology.
She is a partner, co-designer and co-facilitator of the Moodle for Teachers, Emergent technologies in teaching workshops at IT4ALL Integrating Technology for Life-Long Learning. About 9 years, Professor Smirnova has been the counselor of the local chapter of Kappa Delta Pi, the International Honor Society in Education. The MSMC Sigma Tau chapter is nationally recognized; it has won an Achieving Chapter Excellence award several times. With the officers of the chapter Dr. Smirnova promotes teaching with technology among the teacher candidates of the education program and college faculty. Professor Smirnova is a certified Smart Board Trainer. She conducts numerous Teaching with Technology training workshops at MSMC, nationally and internationally.